fbpx

IELTS Pie Chart 1 - Writing Task 1

The pie chart below shows the native languages spoken by students at Cambridge College in year 2007.

You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.

The pie chart below shows the native languages spoken by students at Cambridge College in year 2007.

Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.

Write at least 150 words. 

Sample Answer:

The diagram provides information on the proportion of students speaking native languages in the year 2007 at Cambridge College.

Overall, the majority of the students from Cambridge College spoke English in 2007, with a relatively low percentage of pupils speaking Urdu.

In terms of the chart’s most important aspect, in 2007, the largest category of Cambridge students who speak English accounted for 45% of all students. Furthermore, Hindi was the second most common language spoken by the next largest section of the population, and the contribution of this group was 30%. In addition, when the fraction of pupils speaking these two languages was put together, it accounted for 75% of the total.

In contrast, the smallest percentage of students were speaking Urdu at Cambridge College in the year 2007, which accounted for only 2% of all learners. Moreover, Chinese was spoken by around one tenth of the total population, and the remaining 13% of students were native French speakers. It is worth noting that, in total, one quarter of all learners at Cambridge College spoke these three languages, that is, French, Chinese, and Urdu, in the year 2007.